Skip to main content

Grandma's Bungalow


                                                                Grandma’s Bungalow

   An excerpt from my working memoir, “Memoirs of a Lost Ashanti Soul”
My sanctuary is located in Kumasi at Mbrom. Grandma’s bungalow is refuge for my soul. The African bungalow where the family matriarch resides is a place many feel at home. There is not a place I have lived where I have felt at home other than grandma’s bungalow.

There are few places we can go in this world where we feel a strong connection to our souls. For me, the overwhelming connection to my soul and this bungalow is a result of my first experiences with the things that bring our souls back to us. Here inside my home, I feel love. I learn about Ashanti traditions and customs. I hear stories of our ancestors.

Mounted on the walls are photos of family and close friends of the family, both past and present. Descending from the ceilings are well wishes and greetings from prior visitors. The halls have a funny way of evoking memory. My earliest memory can be traced back to here. I can remember reaching for a plastic blue toy telephone. I was in great distress as I stood on the tips of my toes extending my arms as far as they could go in hopes of reaching the telephone. I’m not sure who I desperately needed to get in contact with, but I do know they must have been very important.

Every visit back to grandma’s bungalow comes with new stories, life lessons, and memories. Among my favorite memories is Grandma’s 99th birthday celebration. Grandma has spent over 60 years in this home. She has raised six children and mothered a community. The doors are opened to everyone. Grandma says she doesn’t mind many people calling her bungalow home; she is happy when someone finds comfort, safety or nearness here as she feels it is our duty for us all to be one.








                                        


                                                Grandma's Bungalow series pictures by the amazing Nancy Mbra

                                                         Grandma Vic and I in 2016




                                                   Grandma Vic and I on her 99th birthday




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Respect the Black Woman

*The most disrespected person in America is the Black woman.                                              -Malcom X The anger I feel when I am disrespected seeps past this life time into another from generations ago. The sadness I feel is the sadness of not just my own. The pain I feel is the collective pain of us all. There hasn't been a time in this country's history when the disrespect of the Black women hasn't been justified by the stereotypical characteristics attributed to us. We are defined and named as attitude, criminal, promiscuous, and most frequently, angry. For years, nothing could be done. We could only endure as we were enslaved, raped, beaten, killed and insulted. In this time as we continue to fight for equality, it is hard to not be discouraged the moment we fall victim to disrespect and nothing is done. Society sits quietly while recognizing an injustice. We look around for the appropriate consequences to take effect or even just someone

Birthday Girl Ashantigyal

My poor roommate! I some how manipulated her into taking pictures of me last night so I could have a bomb birthday Instagram post. 124 photos later, I realized that I hated all of them. I know it sounds ridiculous but I began experiencing extreme anxiety about not having a  photo to post this morning. After thinking long and hard for a solution, I remembered that I have a photo of myself as a child that I absolutely love. In the photo you can see baby Ashantigyal sitting on a bench surrounded by plants with her eyes closed soaking in life. When I look back at that photo I see more than just a younger me. I see a child who was radiant, confident and hopeful. I see a little girl who had a clear path to  her dreams. As we grow older, we experience growing pains in many forms. For me, my growing pains came in the form of depression and self-doubt. If we are not careful, we can allow our growing pains to debilitate us.  This day in my 28th year of life, I am grateful that I can also