Skip to main content

Bruxelles, Belgium 8


I was so relieved the moment I found the perfect camouflage jacket at Mission Thrift in the city. I know, super basic Bay Area wannabe hipster right? But before you judge me, just know this item was a vital addition to my wardrobe. I had already planned an entire outfit around it. Honestly, this wasn't just any outfit, this was my layover outfit. This wasn't just any layover, it was an international layover in Brussels, Belgium for 8 hours. If you know me at all, then you know I play no games when it comes to my layover excursion outfits.

When choosing the perfect international layover excursion outfit, the key is to make it look effortless. Obviously, it's clear I put a lot of effort into mine. But no one in Belgium knew that. I'm pretty sure everyone who saw me thought, "wow what and effortless urban-street-chic-edgy look".

The time spent clearing customs and taking the train down to Bruxelles Central, left me with only 6.5 hours to eat a Belgian waffle and get the perfect Instagram photo. Unfortunately finding someone to take pictures of me took a lot more time than eating waffles did.

I asked a few people to take photos, but they did not get my angles. Just when I was about to settle for a  selfie, I noticed a car drive by me twice. The third time around, the car stopped and a man got out. My first thought was "wow you're thirsty, too bad I'm not interested". It wasn't long before I realized he couldn't speak any English and he figured out the only word I know in French is bonjour.

The language of desperation is universal. He quickly understood I was desperate for a bomb photo. This man came all the way through! Not only did he take the best photos of me outside, he also invited me into his shop where he made me tea, set me up with the Wi-Fi, and continued the photoshoot.

I literally sat in the shop with him for three hours, stuffing my face with  European candy while greeting customers and sending my cousins and friends the 567 photos he took of me. I realize it probably wasn’t the best idea to hang out with a stranger in in a foreign country. But honestly there is no way anyone who is willing to take pictures of you and gives you free candy can be a murderer right?

                                          Camo jacket- $20 Mission Thrift
                                          Black bodysuit- $26 American Apparel
                                         Adidas joggers- $70 Urban Outfitters
                                         Vans high tops- $65 Urban Outfitters
                                          Effortless casual slay- $ Priceless

                                          First word that comes to mind: Art.
                                         I felt cool being behind the register...
                                   I'm nominating this man for a Nobel Peace Prize



Honore, you're my friend for life!

Please note, they don't call me an international baddie for nothing! *Kenya Moore Twirl*

Comments

  1. Everyday I am grateful to you for keeping me in touch with what's important!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Its my social responsibility! I must keep you informed :)

      Delete
  2. Hilarious!!! Love it! and love the outfit!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE the adventure in this story! I dont love the $70 for the joggers; you totally could have found the same pair at the thrift shop. Although it all came together nicely and was a chic outfit. 😍

    Also we gonna download Duolingo before you go on your next international trip tho and prepare you with some words. 😆😉

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Janelle!! ahhaaa yes you're right about the joggers, those were definitely a splurge. Omg!!! YES!! Duolingo was most definitely needed!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Respect the Black Woman

*The most disrespected person in America is the Black woman.                                              -Malcom X The anger I feel when I am disrespected seeps past this life time into another from generations ago. The sadness I feel is the sadness of not just my own. The pain I feel is the collective pain of us all. There hasn't been a time in this country's history when the disrespect of the Black women hasn't been justified by the stereotypical characteristics attributed to us. We are defined and named as attitude, criminal, promiscuous, and most frequently, angry. For years, nothing could be done. We could only endure as we were enslaved, raped, beaten, killed and insulted. In this time as we continue to fight for equality, it is hard to not be discouraged the moment we fall victim to disrespect and nothing is done. Society sits quietly while recognizing an injustice. We look around for the appropriate consequences to take effect or even just someone

Birthday Girl Ashantigyal

My poor roommate! I some how manipulated her into taking pictures of me last night so I could have a bomb birthday Instagram post. 124 photos later, I realized that I hated all of them. I know it sounds ridiculous but I began experiencing extreme anxiety about not having a  photo to post this morning. After thinking long and hard for a solution, I remembered that I have a photo of myself as a child that I absolutely love. In the photo you can see baby Ashantigyal sitting on a bench surrounded by plants with her eyes closed soaking in life. When I look back at that photo I see more than just a younger me. I see a child who was radiant, confident and hopeful. I see a little girl who had a clear path to  her dreams. As we grow older, we experience growing pains in many forms. For me, my growing pains came in the form of depression and self-doubt. If we are not careful, we can allow our growing pains to debilitate us.  This day in my 28th year of life, I am grateful that I can also

Grandma's Bungalow

                                                                Grandma’s Bungalow     An excerpt from my working memoir, “Memoirs of a Lost Ashanti Soul” My sanctuary is located in Kumasi at Mbrom. Grandma’s bungalow is refuge for my soul. The African bungalow where the family matriarch resides is a place many feel at home. There is not a place I have lived where I have felt at home other than grandma’s bungalow. There are few places we can go in this world where we feel a strong connection to our souls. For me, the overwhelming connection to my soul and this bungalow is a result of my first experiences with the things that bring our souls back to us. Here inside my home, I feel love. I learn about Ashanti traditions and customs. I hear stories of our ancestors. Mounted on the walls are photos of family and close friends of the family, both past and present. Descending from the ceilings are well wishes and greetings from prior visitors. The halls have a funny way of evoking